Sunday, September 9, 2012

Memoirs of 2011 Side Story: A Freaky Encounter

Almost 1 month in my new area and for a change I decided not to go home this weekend. I reckoned I'll be able to work more productively in Dagupan than in Paranaque. Or so I thought. Haha. With picturesque Pangasinan beaches only a 20-30 minute drive away from my apartment, the temptation to go check them out was high! Temptation finally won over me and at around 3pm, I took off!
 
Reached the town of San Fabian and finally saw the beaches I just used to stare at on the way home. I'll simply chill out, clear my mind off some things, watch the sunset, then go home. A simple plan to make me forget my quarter-life-crisis-high!
 
I pulled-over the portion of the beach where only a handful of people are living - to make sure the beach I'm headed to is not owned by anyone.
 
4pm, even with the sun still a bit high on the horizon I can already imagine its fluttering rays slowly being consumed by the sea.
 
I stepped down the car and slowly trekked down to the beach. Took a picture. Ang ganda!
 

Then, a dog barked. "Someone lives here pala." Suddenly, it came hurling towards my direction. Frightened I took on a defensive stance. A woman carrying a child from the house nearby went out to stop the dog but it continued its direction. On her second attempt, the dog finally stopped but is still on offensive mode.
 
I went down again slowly to approach the beach, the dog still barking. Then a second and bigger dog barked. Like the first one, it also hurled towards my direction. It stopped at the command of the lady.

I gave the lady a smile as a sign of my thanks and continued on my way with my knees shaking. But still I'm determined to have my beach moment.
 
I took a second picture and in my peripheral vision I saw a man about my age wearing a black jersey walk behind me. He seems to be going to the house.

4:15pm, the sun started to emit a more golden aura. Upon reaching the boundary between the grassland and the beach, I stopped. I saw a loose white carabao. Though it was only eating grass, I felt a small hint of fear as I saw its horns. I walked more cautiously.
 
I was supposed to take another picture when I heard a man shouting with hatred and rage. I looked around and saw no one. Then I heard it again, only this time louder. I looked back and I saw the man from earlier sprinting towards my direction and shouting!

He was holding two big rough stones, one on each hand, his red-yellowish eyes fixed on me, his face full of rage. At that split second, I felt a tremendous amount of fear, my heart suddenly thumped wildly. I cannot even move nor speak. There's no one here, save for the lady I saw earlier. But what can she do? She might even know the guy. I'm completely defenseless, more so in an unpopulated area.
 
I tried to speak, and uttered the words, "Kuya.. pwede po bang - " "ANO?!" he shouted back as he raised his right arm, his eyes now bigger and redder than before. "KUYAAH.. pwede po bang! -" I couldn't even speak. He began shouting words I could not even understand. " - pwede po bang.. magpahangin lang dito?" "ANO?! MAGPAHANGIN?!" I know I sounded stupid that time, but that's all my mind and body could do. "Opo."

Then as if an Imperius curse was lifted from him, he brought his arm back down, blinked twice and at that moment he began to wear a kinder and friendlier face. "Magpahangin? Sige," he said in a soft and gentle manner.

This guy is nuts!

He slowly walked away, still clutching the two big stones in his hand. Making sure he is far enough to catch up with me, I walked briskly up the grassland and took a different route, to make sure I don't encounter the dogs. I suddenly halted as I saw a dark brown carabao with bigger horns. Good thing it was tied, but still I proceeded cautiously.

Took out the car keys from my pocket, pressed the unlock button and went inside.

Sat down. Breathed deeply. Stared at the long road in front of me. "What just happened?!"

I was slowly trying to regain my senses, trying hard to bring my adrenalin back to normal levels.

Then I saw a child emerge from the grasslands in front of me. He was staring straight at me, and smiling. This time I didn't smile back.

Checked my mirrors to see if the road is clear. Then on my rear view mirror I saw the man walking slowly towards my car, his head down, still clutching the two big stones. At that split second, I started my engine, quickly checked my mirrors again and drove away madly!

Knees still shaking, I tried my best to navigate the car. I was driving at 80kph. Then out of nowhere..

a large white carabao suddenly crossed the road. Stepped on the brakes and honked uncontrollably. Then the carabao left the road. Freaked out, I blurted "What the fuck is happening today?!" I just want a simple beach moment under the setting sun.

I returned home, puzzled, trying to comprehend what just happened today.

And it was no dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment